Geisinger at Center of Danville, PA Community
Geisinger Medical Center, a nationally-known and nationally-recognized health care system, is located in the small community of Danville, PA in Central Pennsylvania. The hospital and health care system, Geisinger Health Plan, are primary providers of jobs to the community of Danville, PA and beyond. Geisinger is also one of the premiere providers of healthcare to the larger Central PA region.
Founded in 1915 by Abigail Geisinger, Geisinger is a physician-led health care system, dedicated to health care, education, research and service spanning 43 counties across Pennsylvania Geisinger serves more than 2.6 million people. Geisinger in Danville, PA is now the largest rural healthcare facility in the country.
Geisinger’s Location: Danville, PA within Montour County
Geisinger is located in the small historic town of Danville, PA within Montour County, the smallest County in the Commonwealth. From the 1800s, Danville forged a reputation as an iron-making center, creating and manufacturing the railroad industry’s iron T-rail, which contributed greatly to the area’s success, employing over a thousand people. The mills, blast furnaces and foundries continued to operate through the turn of the century.
Montour County, in the heart of Pennsylvania, is noted for its rural beauty and outstanding quality of life. It is home to rolling farmlands, state game lands, state forests, nature preserves and the Susquehanna River and several tributaries. Ricketts Glen, one of the several nearby state parks, is a Registered National Natural Landmark with more than 22 waterfalls. Almost 20,000 acres of state game land in the area are used for hunting, boating, hiking, bird watching and nature study, while there is an abundance of lakes and streams for fishing.
Geisinger is Nationally Recognized
One important indicator of quality is whether a hospital, like Geisinger, and its staff are recognized by independent organizations devoted to measuring healthcare quality.
- Geisinger Health System has been listed among the country’s “100 Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems.” by Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine for the ninth time.
- Geisinger Health System was recently named to the Becker’s Hospital Review “100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare” list for 2011.
- Geisinger Medical Center received the 2011 Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals®: National Benchmarks Award for overall organizational performance.
- Sixty-two Geisinger Health System physicians in 27 medical specialties were named to the national Best Doctors list for 2011-2012.
- Glenn Steele Jr., MD, PhD, ranked 35 out of 100 in Modern Healthcare magazine’s 2010 Most Powerful People in Healthcare.
- Quality: providing superb care across the organization
- Value: providing care where and when it is needed
- Partnerships: working collaboratively with other providers, businesses, and educational institutions
- Advocacy: championing causes for improving rural health.
Geisinger is led by Glenn D. Steele Jr., MD, PhD. Steele serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of Geisinger Health System. Dr. Steele joined Geisinger Health System as President and Chief Executive Officer on March 1, 2001. He arrived at Geisinger from the University of Chicago and become a nationally-recognized leader in the healthcare industry.
In 2011, Dr. Steele was awarded the Healthcare Financial Management Association’s Board of Directors’ Award, which recognizes individuals or organizations for significant positive contributions to the profession of health care, the financ¬ing of health care services and benefits society related to health care.
The Geisinger system employs nearly 11,000 full-time employees and more than 2,500 part-time employees.
Geisinger Health System offers health care professionals opportunities to practice their skills in the beautiful northeastern and central region of Pennsylvania with its mountains, forests, lakes and streams – an active rural alternative in Danville, PA as compared to crowded urban living.
Hotels in Danville, PA
Restaurants in Danville, PA